This token of goodwill is well known from the First World War, but it was also a feature of the South African War.The Suffolks' first battle was to assault Red Hill near Colesburg in January 1900 with heavy losses.Not surprisingly, it was also used by carriers coming to and from the market.
He is pictured here in 1916, but looking every inch the Edwardian sporting gentleman.
In Bury St Edmunds it was decided to celebrate the occasion along with the Queen's birthday on 24th May, and the Mayor had to quickly get arrangements made for a School holiday and a half day shop and business closure.
Bury was home to about 16,000 people, and building continued to be needed to house them. A good builder might make £10 profit on a house sold for £100. Houses were largely built in pairs, or small terraces, like the pair of grandly named "villas" illustrated here in Hospital Road.
Under the Electric Lighting Act of 1882, local authorities were empowered to set up electricity undertakings.
The generating station, and two cottages to house its key operatives, were located on the Playfields, off Prospect Row.
Search for allocating updatings:
The White Lion was still an important Carriers' House in 1900, despite the decline of the Wagonners and Carters over the past 50 years since railways.